Applying for a PhD

Adverts: Click here for adverts for available PhD studentships in the Institute for Materials and Processes.

Studentships: Studentships are available only for UK/EU applicants. The studentships provide a tax-free Research Council stipend (currently £13,595 per annum), which covers living expenses and travel costs, plus university fees at the UK/EU rate. Please note, however, that overseas tuition fees are not covered, so overseas applicants will need to self-finance or apply for scholarships. For example, the Scottish Overseas Research Student Awards Scheme (SORSAS) pays the difference between the tuition fees paid by UK/EU students and those paid by overseas students. However, SORSAS is a very competitive scheme, so overseas applicants should not rely solely on this as a source of funding, but should search widely, as detailed in

Applicant requirements: The ability to be a team player and to work in close collaboration with a diverse team of chemical engineers, chemists and material scientists is important. The successful candidates will have a first class or 2.1 degree, or equivalent, in chemical engineering, chemistry, physics, applied mathematics or a related subject.

Enquiries: For any enquiry relating to PhD positions in carbon capture, please contact the relevant principal supervisor as mentioned in the adverts.

How to apply: If you are interested in submitting your application for a PhD project (either advertised or speculative), please apply through the EUCLID system and select the option "PhD (Full Time) 3 Years" on the right-hand pane.

You will need to upload a number of supporting documents, including:

  • 2 academic references
  • degree certificate
  • academic transcript
  • CV
  • project research proposal
  • an IELTS certificate if your first language is not English.

Language requirements: Information on the English-language requirements at The University of Edinburgh are given here.